1156 Chapel Street, POB 208339
New Haven, Connecticut, 06520-8339
YALE SUMMER SCHOOL OF ART AND MUSIC
May 22–July 3, 2016
The art division offers a six-week session for academic credit as a special summer program. The School is located on the Stoeckel estate in Norfolk CT. and is supported by the Ellen Battell Stoeckel Trust.
Through the generosity of this trust, the full expenses of tuition, room, and board are covered by a fellowship grant to each student approved for admission. Selected colleges, universities, and professional art schools across the country and abroad are invited to nominate for these fellowships two candidates who are currently enrolled as juniors in their programs. There is an application fee of $25 and a registration fee of $1,500. You are responsible for the 1,500.00 registration fee, there is no additional scholarship.
Students in art follow a required program of painting, printmaking, drawing, and digital photography. optional workshops in Performance,animation and Plein Air Painting.
Distinguished artists are on both the resident and the visiting faculty. The visiting faculty provide workshops, lectures, and individual criticism. The resident faculty for 2016 includes:Anoka Faruqee, Molly Zuckerman-Hartung, Sarah Anne Johnson, Martin Kersels, Sam Messer, and Mark Thomas Gibson. Visiting artists and lecturers will include: Josephine Halvorosn, Mike Rader, Byron Kim, Jonathan Safran Foer, Suzanne Bocanegra.
Information about the program may be obtained in mid February from the schools that have been invited to participate. The application deadline is in March 28th. Persons interested in being considered for nomination should so inform their department heads. Individuals may not apply directly to the Norfolk program.
Edit access: Sysop
APPLICATION: DEADLINE MARCH 28, 2016
Please note that applications will not be accepted unless they have been preceded by a nomination letter from the Department Chair of the applicant’s home institution or their designee. The nomination letter (which is separate from any reference letter) must be submitted on the school letterhead and received by 21 March 2016.
The online application will be found here: https://apply.art.yale.edu/apply/
Be prepared to upload:
1. A brief statement about yourself and your work. One page maximum (do not include a separate artist’s statement).
2. The names and emails of two references. One of these should be from a studio instructor with whom you are currently studying and the other should be from a studio instructor with whom you have studied in the past two years. After you have entered their emails, click submit and they will receive a link to your application where they will be able to upload your reference directly into your application.
3. A student copy of your transcript.
4. 17 images. We look for a cohesive body of work, but we also understand and expect that a young artist should be searching, pushing and trying things. Therefore send 17 images that you feel good about. Do not submit works in different media just to prove that you have tried things, but only send images from different mediums if you are actually engaged in them and are interested in doing such as painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, digital photography, video etc. If you include video, they should be no longer than two minutes in length and grouped at the end of your portfolio submission.
5. A non-refundable application fee of $25.00. This may be paid with a credit card or PayPal. You will advance to the payment page after you have completed all the other components of your application and click SUBMIT. Only paid submitted applications will be considered by the admissions committee.
ONE HARD-COPY MUST BE MAILED:
From the Nominator due 3/21: The nomination letter (which is separate from any reference letter) written on the school letterhead.
PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING MAILING ADDRESS:
Yale/Norfolk Admissions, P.O.Box 208339, 1156 Chapel Street, New Haven, CT 06520-8339
*Material received after the application deadline will not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Edit access: Sysop
just a few , Mark Strand, William Bailey, Robert Reed,Eva Hesse, Sheila Hicks, Robert Mangold, Chuck Close, Brice Marden, Vija Celmins,David Navros, Steven Posen, Jacqueline Humphries, Kate Ruddle, Sarah Sze,Chie Fueki, Josh Marsh, Charlie White, Sarah Oppenheimer, Steve DiBenedtto, Mickelene Thomas, Sarah Lasley, Josephine Halvorson , Anna Betzbe, Jane Corrigan, Mary Maitingly, Lowie Hollowell, Ahmed Alsoudani and 1760 others
Edit access: Sysop